Shelby Junior High School students are taking "Rachel's Challenge" by creating The First Link Club, which promotes kindness at the school.
"Rachel's Challenge" is a national program based on the writings of Rachel Joy Scott, the first victim in the Columbine tragedy.
The goal of the First Link club is to encourage Shelby students to meet each one of Rachel's Challenges:
- Look for the best in others and eliminate prejudice
- Dare to dream, set goals and keep a journal
- Choose positive influences: Input determines output
- Kind words and actions yield high results
- Start a chain reaction with family and friends
The group formed shortly after the September Rachel's Challenge presentation at Shelby Junior High School. Club activities have included school billboards with anti-bullying and kindness messages and holding charity drives for local service organizations.