MDOT Suspends Half Its Road Projects for Memorial Weekend
Motorists across the state will see fewer road construction delays during the holiday weekend and are advised of ongoing projects.
More than a million motorists mapping their Memorial weekend route across the state can expect fewer traffic delays.
The Michigan Department of Transportation lifted traffic restrictions on 75 of 142 road projects statewide from 3 p.m. Friday, May 27, to 6 a.m. Tuesday, May 31, according to a Wednesday announcement.
"The Memorial Day holiday is a great opportunity for motorists to experience and discover the natural beauty of our great state," State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle said in a prepared statement.
Steudle advises drivers to continue paying attention to the roads, wear seat belts and obey traffic laws.
According to MDOT, the below list of construction zones will remain active or have lane restrictions during the holiday weekend:
- I-96 eastbound and westbound ramps to northbound M-39 are closed. Traffic detoured via US-24 (Telegraph Road).
- M-39 (Southfield Freeway) is closed in both directions between M-5 (Grand River Avenue) and M-10 (Lodge Freeway) for reconstruction. Traffic detoured via US-24.
- M-39 down to one lane in both directions between M-5 and M-153 (Ford Road) for ongoing construction.
- Northline Road entrance ramp to northbound I-75 and the southbound I-75 exit ramp to Northline Road are closed and detoured.
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in both directions between Schaefer Road and Oakwood Boulevard for ongoing reconstruction. Traffic detoured via I-75.
- 11 Mile westbound entrance ramp to westbound I-94 is closed. A detour is posted.
- Van Dyke Ave. is reduced to two lanes over I-696.
- I-94 left shoulders closed in each direction between 8 Mile and 11 Mile.
- I-696 has shoulder closures in both directions between Van Dyke Ave. and Hoover for ongoing bridge construction.
- Gratiot Ave. southbound bridge over the Clinton River is closed. Traffic is detoured to the northbound bridge with a single lane open in each direction on the northbound structure.
- Crooks Road is reduced to a single lane in each direction over M-59.
- I-75 northbound exit to eastbound M-59 is closed with a detour posted.
- M-5 eastbound and westbound lanes closed between Purdue Street and 8 Mile.
- M-59 eastbound ramps to northbound and southbound I-75 are closed with detours posted.
- M-59 westbound ramp to southbound I-75 is closed with a detour posted.
- M-59 has two lanes open in each direction between Crooks and Opdyke roads.
- US-24 has the left northbound lane closed from 12 Mile to Maple Road for construction.
For a complete list of construction zones outside metro Detroit, click here.