Mind Your Waistlines, Tuesday is Pączki Day
There are several stores in the Shelby Township and Utica area planning to sell the dangerously delicious doughnuts known as "pączki" on Fat Tuesday.
Feb. 12 isn't just any Tuesday. This year, it happens to be Fat Tuesday, also known as Pączki Day.
Polish tradition is to celebrate the last six days of Carnival, beginning on Fat Thursday (Tłusty Czwartek) when pączki (fried donuts) are eaten. In America, pączki can be found in bakeries around Shelby Township and Utica on Feb. 12.
For those who observe Lent, Ash Wednesday begins the 40 days of fasting, which often includes giving up sweets until Easter. This leaves Tuesday as the last day to indulge in the sugary, carb-filled wonders known as pączki.
So where can you find pączki locally?
- Utica Heights Bakery, 46715 Van Dyke, Utica
- Militello's Bakery, 52950 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Randazzo Market, 49800 Hayes Rd., Macomb and 36800 Garfield Rd., Clinton Township
- Nino Salvaggio, 17496 Hall Rd., Clinton Township
- Golden Donuts, 34155 Harper, Clinton Township
- Larger chain stores like Kroger and Meijer will also stock the dangerously delicious doughnuts.
What are your favorite paczki flavors? Tell us in the comments.