Selfridge Airmen Receive Bronze Star
Three airmen stationed at Selfridge Air National Guard Base have been awarded the Bronze Star for service in Afghanistan. Additionally, airmen and civilian honors were awarded during a recent ceremony.
Selfridge Air National Guard Base recently bestowed honors to airmen and civilians including three Bronze Star Medals.
The honors were given during the base's annual end-of-the-year ceremony and included three Bronze Stars medals, which are awarded for meritorious service while engaged in operations with an opposing force.
Major Tom Sierkowski, Chief Master Sgt. Matt Mageira and Senior Master Sgt. Jeff Talaga received the Bronze Star for their service earlier this year while deployed with the 877th Expeditionary Prime BEEF Squadron at Camp Marmal in Afghanistan for six months earlier this year. The airmen, who led the squadron comprised of Army and Air Force personnel, completed more than 160 construction projects and building the largest airfield temporary runway and taxiway surface in Air Force history.
“These three Airmen bring great credit to themselves and to their families,” said Col. Michael Thomas, 127th Wing commander, in a release. “All of us in the Michigan Air National Guard stand a little taller after the work done by our civil engineers in Afghanistan.”
The deployment to Afghanistan was one of several majors missions to Afghanistan, Libya and Kuwait conducted by the personnel at Selfridge this year.
“Every time our nation called, you answered,” Thomas told the wing during the ceremony.
Named Airman of the Year for the 127th Wing for 2011 were:
- Airman 1st Class Jacob Tufts, 127th Air Refueling Group, Airman of the Year.
- Technical Sgt. David Bowers, 127th Air Refueling Group, Noncommissioned Officer of the Year.
- Master Sgt. Robert Sutton, 127th Mission Support Group, Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year.
- Master Sgt. Richard Gordon, 127th Mission Support Group, First Sergeant of the Year.
- Capt. Todd Wasilewski, 127th Air Refueling Group, Company Grade Officer of the Year.
Selfridge civilian employees were also honored at a separate ceremony:
- Bill Haley, 127th Precision Measurement Equipment Laboratory, Manager of the Year.
- Joel Rutherford, 127th Air Traffic Control, Supervisor of the Year.
- Tom Liss, 127th Medical Group, Employee of the Year.
- Scott Parks, 127th Civil Engineering Squadron, State Employee of the Year.