Shelby OKs $588K to Widen Van Dyke, Improve Dequindre Bike Crossing
The Shelby Township board has unanimously approved two cost-share projects to widen Van Dyke from 25 Mile to 26 Mile and improve the pedestrian and bike crossing at Dequindre Road between 23 Mile and 24 Mile.
Shelby Township has committed to invest another half a million dollars in area infrastructure this year following board approval of two projects to improve Van Dyke and Dequindre.
Earlier this month, the township approved $800,000 to cover its portion of the cost for widening Hayes Road from 21 to 23 Mile Road. On Tuesday, the township board unanimously approved cost-share agreements for widening Van Dyke from 25 Mile to 26 Mile and improving the pedestrian and bike crossing at Dequindre Road between 23 Mile and 24 Mile.
- Get updates on this and other Shelby Township and Utica news by signing up for Patch's email newsletter.
The widening of Van Dyke is the final link in the Macomb County Department of Roads’ plan to make the Van Dyke corridor five-lanes from M-59 to 26 Mile Road.
Although the total project cost is approximately $5.1 million, some $4 million in federal aid has reduced the price for MCDOR and Shelby Township to $1,137,340, which if split, works out to $568,670 each.
"As our economy continues to improve, it is likely that development will ramp up on 26 Mile Road, it is important to our community that the Van Dyke corridor is improved so that our residents and businesses can enjoy the benefits of improving economic conditions," said Supervisor Rick Stathakis.
This project is scheduled to start in May and wrap up in October.
The second project, to complete a safer at-grade crossing for pedestrians and bicyclists crossing Dequindre between 23 Mile and 24 Mile, originated in the City of Rochester and will cost Shelby Township up to $20,000.
"The changes will be worth the price," wrote David Duckworth on Shelby-Utica Patch's Facebook page. "When there are several people or some with children it becomes difficult to get everyone across between the traffic flow."
Over the past year, Shelby Township officials have met with colleagues in Rochester, the Oakland County Road Commission, Friends of the Clinton River and other agencies to discuss adding improvements to this crossing which connects the Clinton River Trail to the Macomb Orchard Trail.
Improvements are expected to include a crosswalk, safety island for slower pedestrians and bicyclists to rest, additional signage, detectable warnings and better lighting.
A grant from Michigan’s Local Technical Assistance Program will cover 70 percent of the approximately $130,000 project cost, with Rochester left to cover the remaining 30 percent of construction costs, plus the contingencies and engineering costs.
Shelby Township officials agreed to share up to $20,000 of the project's cost, although project planners estimate the actual cost will be closer to $15,000.
Rochester is expected to contribute a total of $88,000 to the project.
Funding for both projects will come from the township's 2013 budget.