History and aviation buffs can rejoice at the season opening of the Selfridge Military Air Museum this month.
The museum on the Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township is open to the public from noon to 4:30 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays, Independence Day and Memorial Day, now through October 27. The Museum and Air Park can also be opened by appointment at other times throughout the year, according to museum officials.
Military history comes to life
There are $6 million worth of displays at the museum, including:
- Full-scale replica of World War I fighter plane
- Interactive cutaway and motorized World War II aircraft engine
- Interactive Air Traffic Control radar display
- Original aviation art by noted aviation artists
- World War II LINK trainer that guests can sit inside
- Wide variety of military memorabilia, such as weapons, aircraft engines, military uniforms, military aircraft models and photographs spanning the base's approximate 96-year history
New displays at the museum
According to the museum, the new displays for 2013 are:
- F-89C "Scorpion"
- C-130E “Hercules”
- A-10A “Thunderbolt II” in the outdoor Air Park.
- Three-fourths scale historically-accurate model of the original “Wright Flyer” will soon be on display in their “Spad Hangar.”
The Air Park, which has 32 full-size vintage military aircraft from World War I to modern day, can be opened to visitors, pending weather and the availability of docents. Pictures of the interior and exterior displays are permitted for private non-commercial use only, according to museum officials.
To visit the museum and air park, go to the base's main gate at the intersection of M-59 and Jefferson Avenue. A current and valid driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of vehicular insurance will be required for visitors.
The Selfridge Military Air Museum is a private non-profit organization staffed entirely by volunteers and receives no federal or state funding for the operation and maintenance of its facilities and displays.
Admission is $4 per guest over the age of 12 and $3 for children between 4 and 12. There is a minimum admission of $25 for all by-appointment tours.
Further more info, visit www.selfridgeairmuseum.org or 586-239-5035.