Saturday's weather held out long enough for hundreds of visitors to enjoy the annual Art Fair at the Shelby Township Municipal Grounds.
"It's just a wonderful day out and I am just thrilled it didn't rain," said Shelby Township resident Barb Kulaszewicz, who added that she hasn't visited the annual fair in years.
For those who couldn't make it out Saturday, the fair is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday.
“It’s nice to see the whole community out and they have a lot of nice things for kids,” said Kulaszewicz, who was at the fair with her daughter and grandson.
Visitors to the fair were greeted by a creative buzz in the air as more than 80 venders, mostly from Michigan, showcased their wares.
Kulaszewicz said she was interested in checking out the jewelry, art work and backyard designs, but there is plenty more to see such as clothing, accessories, pottery, sculptures, face painting and handmade soaps, cards and even jelly.
While cruising the booths, visitors have a chance to meet the artists themselves and get a better idea what inspires them.
Sue and Brian Jearlds of Macomb Township can tell you about their adventures last weekend on Lake Superior searching for rocks to use in their jewelry line called Michigan Stone Jewelry.
For the Jearlds, making jewelry from semi- precious stones they’ve gathered is a hobby that has taken them across the state to many art fairs over the past eight years.
Brian, an Engineer by day, is a trained lapidarist, and Sue, a nurse by day, spends her nights and weekends creating fine jewelry.
Here’s a look at Sunday’s Festival:
Sunday, August 12
- 10:00 a.m. art fair opens and closes at 4 p.m.
- 10 a.m.-Noon Wally Fitz Jazz
- 12 p.m. Cirque Amongus - audience participation circus performance
- 12 p.m. Free on-site drop-in drawing classes with Stephanie Kent for kids and adults at the Kids Corner until 4:30 p.m.
- 12:30-2:00 pm Rick & Dayna Duo
- 2 p.m.Free on-site drop-in drawing classes with Stephanie Kent for kids and adults at the Kids Corner until 4:30 p.m.
- 2:30-4:00 pm The Sun Messengers
- Check out the Shelby Fire Department’s Smoke House & Aerial Ladder Truck
- Child fingerprinting by the Shelby Township Police Department
- Kid’s Corner Craft & Activity Area
- Live animals from the Burgess-Shadbush Nature Center
- Musical entertainment in the bandshell
- Tour Historic Hope Chapel and Andrews Schoolhouse Museum
- Yummy snacks from friendly food vendors
- Chalk Art Zone – Hosted and sponsored by Christian Financial Credit Union
- Cirque Amongus - Circus Performances with Audience Participation
- DMYC Remote Control Sailboat Display & Demo on Heritage Garden Lake
- Free On-site Drawing Classes - Hosted by Michaels
- Kid’s Mural Painting Area – Hosted by the Shelby Township Fine Art Society
- Local and Michigan Made Products Area
- Sand Sculpture Demo and Instruction and Kid’s Sand Play Area – Hosted by the Royal Park Hotel
- Sponsor “Swag” Tote Bag for Artists and First 400 Attendees
Admission, parking and a shuttle bus service from the located behind the library are all free.