Shelby-Utica Patch Editor Marina Cracchiolo is going on her first-ever Patch Summer Tour. That’s right—rock stars aren’t the only ones who can go on tour.
This tour is about getting out into the community—not for the purpose of playing rock and roll and inspiring a generation of hippies—but to experience the city with a fresh set of eyes. I want to visit new businesses, attend a great community event and even get you more connected with your local state representatives.
I’ll tell you where I am going to be and what stories I plan on covering all week long in the hopes that you’ll come out and say “Hi.” I am even willing to give out gifts. In return, I want to hear what you have to say. Give me feedback on the site (but not about my funky clothes, please) or pitch me a story idea. And tell me where else you think I should go–events, meetings, restaurants, your house. I'll be adding to the calendar all week. And watch on the Shelby-Utica Patch Facebook and Twitter pages for tour updates, photos, live tweets from meetings and more.
Monday, July 25
- Inside and Out Day Camp: Patch will be at the first day of the weeklong self-esteem workshop for preteen girls ages 9 to 12. The camp, held at , teaches girls ways to stay healthy inside and out. I will join the girls as they learn about fitness activities and healthy eating habits, as well as having positive self-esteem. For more information on the camp, visit the camp's Facebook Page.
Tuesday, July 26
- Join me at Hamlin Pub on 22 Mile and Hayes roads Tuesday evening for the Republican Committee of Northern Macomb County's monthly meeting. The open forum is a chance for the public to meet with representatives Jeff Farrington (R-Utica), Andrea LaFontaine (R-Richmond) and Pete Lund (R-Shelby Township). Stop by and say "hi" to me and I'll buy you a refreshing beverage of your choice.
Wednesday, July 27
- I am really getting into this rock and roll theme. Wednesday night, you'll find me dancing to Johnny Cash at the Family Fun Night at the . The band American Legend will pay tribute to Johnny Cash during a free concert, sponsored by the . Bring your own lawn chairs. For more information, call 586-731-0300 or visit www.shelbyparksandrecration.org.
Thursday, July 28
- I may be a little tired from dancing all night Wednesday, so I'll be drinking coffee through a straw at at 9:30 a.m. Stop by and say hi. I'll be armed with Patch swag and feeling generous.
Friday, July 29
- This is the wild-card day. I am going to let the community decide which Shelby Township- or Utica-based business or organization should get recognized. I will feature a business of the viewer's choice. If you want your business or your friend's business to be featured on Patch, nominate the business on the Shelby-Utica Facebook page.
I’ll see you around town!