This is part 3 of a six part series of blog posts.
The first post Four Tips to Healthy New Years Resolution is here.
The second post .
To begin eating well and having a healthier 2013, you should start by cleaning out your kitchen and giving it a makeover. Pick a date to start your new lifestyle and stick with it. The first is as good a day as any.
Go through your pantry and cupboards and clean out all the food that is not good for you.
- Look at the labels on your pantry foods and if there are more than 7 ingredients and you can not pronounce or know what these ingredients are, you probably should not keep it.
- Look for words like partially hydrogenated, aspartame, MSG and just get rid of it. Sugary cereals have no place in your kitchen anymore.
- Replace old unhealthy foods with fresh fruits and vegetables as the #1 choice, then frozen if need be. Purchase organic if you can and get lots of greens plus lots of different colored vegetables and fruits.
- Get the blender out and dust it off. Get ready for your fruit and veggie detox. Get some fresh lemons for a detoxifying warm drink each morning to get things rolling along.
- Buy a cookbook with healthy recipes and challenge yourself to try at least one new one each week. (or go to the internet for an unending supply)
- Try eating a meatless Monday meal or a wheatless Wednesday meal. This will begin to have you looking at your recipes a bit differently.
- Try eating brown rice. I am a fan of Rice Select, Brown Rice, Organic Texmati.
- Also, try eating an unbleached whole wheat white flour instead of bleached white flour in recipes.
These are all small steps to changing your kitchen to be healthier for you and your family!