.

Construction Alert: Van Dyke Re-Construction Between 24, 25 Mile in Full-Swing

Pack your patience as you pass down Van Dyke Avenue between 24 and 25 Mile roads.

Construction on Van Dyke Avenue between 24 and 25 Mile roads is in full-swing with traffic flags and backups to boot.

The Macomb County Department of Roads kicked off the reconstruction project to widen Van Dyke Avenue from 24 Mile to 25 Mile roads from a two-lane road to a five-lane concrete road, at the begining of April.

However, Bryan Santo, project engineer with the Macomb County Department of Roads said motorists will begin experiencing more backups as crews work through different phases of construction, which may require traffic flaggers.  Currently, crews are working on storm sewer installations.

Police sirens flashed during rush hour traffic Tuesday evening as officers worked to clear a crash.  No details of the crash were available.

Santo said motorists should pack their patience if they have to travel through the area, or just try and avoid the area all together.

Santo’s advice comes on the heels of , April 23-27. Part of the Michigan Department of Roads 2012 public awareness campaign includes a 60-second public service announcement on radio stations throughout the state.

The Federal Government is paying 80 percent of the 4.5 million Van Dyke Avenue reconstruction project from 24 to 25 Mile roads. The remaining 20 percent is being split by the Macomb County Department of Roads and Shelby Township.

Once construction crews wrap up the 24-25 Mile roads reconstruction project, in October 2012, which is the projected end time, construction crews will work their way north and begin widening Van Dyke Avenue between 25 and 26 Mile roads.

Work on the second phase is projected to begin at the end of 2012 or during spring 2013, according to Santo.

Marina Cracchiolo (Editor) April 25, 2012 at 06:14 PM
Anyone been caught up in the traffic backups on Van Dyke?
Tracy April 29, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Yes. I didn't realize this project had started. I will be avoiding it completely because its a real PITA.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »