.

Construction Wraps on Van Dyke Avenue, Between 24-25 Mile Road

Orange barrels along Van Dyke Avenue between 24 and 25 Mile Road have been removed to reveal a new five-lane road.

Shelby Township motorists will experience the freedom of wide open and construction free zones along Van Dyke Avenue, north of 22 Mile Road—but not for long.

The six-month long road construction on Van Dyke Avenue between 24 and 25 Mile Road has come to a close. At the end of October, the Macomb County Department of Roads removed hundreds of orange barrels to reveal a new five-lane concrete road. Construction to expand the two-lane thoroughfare into five started in April and ended on schedule at the end of October.

The construction is only the second phase of a multi-million investment made by Shelby Township, the Macomb County Department of Roads and the Federal Government to widen Van Dyke Avenue from 23 Mile Road to 26 Mile Road.

In 2010, road crews worked to overhaul the intersection at 23 Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue and widen Van Dyke from 23 to 24 Mile Road.

The next year, crews moved north to reconstruct Van Dyke Avenue between 24 and 25 Mile Road.

In 2013, the final phase of the Van Dyke widening project will begin. Work on the last phase is projected to begin at the end of 2012 or during spring 2013, according to Bryan Santo, project engineer with the Macomb County Department of Roads.

The reconstruction of the roadways include five 9-inch-thick concrete lanes, storm sewers and curbing.

Shelby Township Supervisor Rick Stathakis said that each mile of the road construction along Van Dyke Avenue has cost $4.5 million, for a total of $13.5 million.

The cost has been split 80/20. The Federal Government has picked up 80 percent of the tab and the remaining 20 percent has been split between Shelby Township and the Macomb County Department of Roads.

Stathakis added that Shelby Township has already paid for all three phases - which has accounted for nearly 10 percent of the township's total budget.

"We believe in good roads," he said. "We’re going to continue invest in better roads and new construction."

Construction Continues of Van Dyke Between 21, 22

While motorists in the north of Shelby Township are seeing relief, construction to update an antiquated septic system on Van Dyke between 21 and 22 Mile roads continues.

Construction kicked off a few months ago to update just 1,000 feet of sewer systems on Van Dyke Avenue, from 22 to 21 mile roads.

The $2.3 million project to lay a sewer system along Van Dyke was paid for by a special assessment roll, which was paid for by affected property owners.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something