None of the money needed to finish the final phase of Utica’s portion of the Shelby-Utica Hike and Bike Trail will come out of the city’s general funds.
The Macomb County Department of Roads, in connection with the federal government, will pay 80 percent of the project and Utica will spring for the remaining 20 percent. The total cost to finish the second phase is $506,538.
To pay Utica’s portion of the $105,320, the city council on Tuesday agreed to transfer $105,000 from the Downtown Development Fund and $30,000 from the Parks and Recreations Department.
Mayor Jacqueline Noonan said the city found a way to fund the remainder of the project at no expense to the taxpayer.
The last leg of the in Utica’s city limits will connect Auburn Road to the existing path in , and into . The project is set to begin in 2012.
The Shelby-Utica Hike and Bike Trail is part of Macomb County’s ambitious goal to build a 70-mile continuous trail that will stretch from central to northern Macomb County.
The plans call for the loop to connect the Macomb Orchard Trail in the northern section of the county, south to the Stony Creek Metro Park Trail, east to the Metro Beach Trail, through Mount Clemens, and then back up to the Macomb Orchard Trail.