- Columbus Day, a nationally recognized federal holiday, falls on Monday, Oct. 14 this year. What is closed on Columbus Day? Most banks, all Macomb County government offices and courts, and the U.S. Postal Service will be closed to observe the holiday. The Utica Public Library is closed, the Shelby Township Library is open.
- The Kuts n' Kisses Howl-A-Ween costume parade and party starts on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 1 p.m. from Heritage Park in Utica. The fee is $20 for one person or the entire family and one dog to march in the parade, $30 for more than one dog. Proceeds will go to the Detroit Animal Welfare Group (DAWG).
- Shelby Township residents are urged to bring documents to the township municipal grounds (52700 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township) to be professionally shredded on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 9 a.m. All shredded documents will be recycled. Businesses located in Shelby Township are urged to bring only two boxes of documents to be shredded.
- What do you get when you take two great Halloween events like Boo Bash and Trunk or Treat and combine them into one? Visit River Bends Park in Shelby Township on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 12 noon for its Halloween Spooktacular. Each family with participating children must also bring treats to pass out from their trunk.
- The Sterling Heights Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry hosts a $10,000 raffle gala, featuring dinner, beverages, raffles, card games and more on Friday, Oct. 18 at the Palazzo Grande (54660 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township).
[Click here for more events this week in Shelby and Utica.]